Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Thoughts on Baptism

Hello to all!
This week had some great highlights! We had been working with a man and also with his 8 year old daughter for a few weeks, and they progressed so fast! It was incredible to see their journey towards baptism. The members here helped out so much with phone calls, visits, meals, everything! They were baptized on Saturday. It was a great baptismal service. At the end of the baptism, he bore his testimony, and about his determination to serve God forever. He is such a great man, he will be a great leader here.
Our Ward Mission Leader was chosen to baptize them, and we love him so much. He is the most positive man on earth, always smiling and happy, even when nothing seems to be going well.   Coincidentally, last Saturday was the 21st Anniversary of his own baptism! After the baptism he pulled me aside, and thanked Elder Colligan and I for letting him do the baptism. He said, "You are special Elders for me. I have been Ward Mission Leader for so long, and you are the first elders that have ever let me do a baptism! I feel that it is my responsibility to make sure they stay on track, and I will do it until the end!" I felt so thankful for his great example of how members should always be with new investigators. It is relationships like these that make the work of the Lord progress.
Elder Colligan and I taught the class today for the Zone Training we do once a month. We talked about having the "Vision to Baptize", which is actually something written by Elder Corbridge of the Seventy. Our goal was to encourage all the Elders in our zone to be more diligent and direct about finding, teaching and baptizing. We invited them to see the people of Paraguay in white in the baptismal font, in the Temple, and in the Celestial Kingdom. We invited them to see them how God sees them. It was really spiritual, and our Zone seemed really receptive. As a missionary, my mentality towards sharing the gospels with others has increased, as I have better understood the Atonement of Jesus Christ. Once I understood that all the blessings of the Atonement are only available to those that have faith in Him, repent of their sins, are baptized and confirmed by Priesthood Authority, and endure to the end, my whole mentality on everything changed. I have been called to baptize converts. There are so many people on earth today that are looking for the truth, but are kept from it, only because they know not where to find it. And I have been called to teach the truth to the world. It is such a privilege. I love the mission, and as it is coming down to an end ever so quickly, my desires have only increase on doing this sacred work.
My love and prayers go out to my good friend Nate Short and his family in this tough time for all of us.
Love you all, pray for us here.
Until next week,
Elder Babcock

No comments:

Post a Comment