Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Temple Trip

Hello to all!
This week had a big event that only comes around every 6 months: Temple Trip! We attended the temple this last Thursday, and it was a special experience. We fasted going into it, and I was able to expound on new revelation and knowledge while inside the temple. I am starting to really come to know more about the Atonement daily, and it has become so much more meaningful, relevant, and personal. It was great to see the temple, and to actually take part in so many sacred ordinances. I was contemplating quite a bit on my calling as a missionary, and re-read D&C 4. What a chapter, go ahead and read it prayerfully, and you will see it come to life, whatever may be your position in life!
My companion is heading home next week, and so we have been trying to work better as a companionship. I am learning by experience that communication is key to a good companionship. We had been struggling to communicate well in basically everything, be it about investigators, zone events, ward ideas, mission life, etc. We had a big talk and were able to figure out ways to be in touch better, and to really take advantage of our last 2 weeks together. We both felt a lot better after talking, and went out and saw great things happen over the weekend.
So we are in a drought here in our area, it is looking like our investigator pool has basically dropped. We had some great people that showed great desires, but when Sunday comes around, or when we follow up on commitments, or when we teach them, something has been lacking, and they just haven't done what they promised us they would do so many times! I have learned that on the mission, if you don't watch yourself, it is SO easy to get down and discouraged. But I am trying to stay positive, and open my mouth more, and spread the great news of the Restoration of the Gospel to everyone! We had interviews with the Mission President last week, and he left me a pretty big promise that if I contact, or talk to, 75 people every week, I will find at least 1 golden investigator (or family). And, knowing that he receives the revelation for our mission, following that promise, I will be able to find those who are ready to embrace the truth and follow it!
At church yesterday we were praying hard for a miracle. We had been teaching a less-active family, whose granddaughter is not a member. We had been working hard, trying to get her to go to church, progress, etc. really hard, but we hadn't found a way to "open the door" to her heart. Her birthday was last Sunday, so we decided to bake a cake and give it to her. Her family was happy and expressed their gratitude. We taught her, and committed her for church. She seemed kind of shaky to go, but said she would. We were sitting there with no investigators in church (which by the way is the worst feeling ever), when I was playing prelude music. I looked up to see her and her grandma walk in and sit down. It was, for lack of better words, a tender mercy of the Lord. I am thankful for the power of prayer, and I will keep you update with her status!
The mission has been such a great blessing for me. Like I began by saying, I have received so much light on so many incredible thoughts and feelings, and I am forever grateful for this opportunity to serve. May the Lord bless each of you in this coming week. Keep us here in your prayers.
Until next week,
Elder Babcock

No comments:

Post a Comment