Wednesday, April 4, 2012

6 Good Months

We had a great working week, the biggest news is that a recent convert gave us an awesome reverence to visit his friend, and was perfectly prepared to receive the gospel. We contacted the reference, and had an awesome Atonement/Baptism lesson in Alma 7. The change was big, you could see it in his presence. He accepted the invitation to be baptized. Then on Thursday, he went to Ward Night and loved being around all the young men, who all turned out being friends. We watched "The Testaments", which FYI is the best movie ever, so spiritual. He loved it. On Saturday we went there to see how Moroni 10 turned out (we had marked it for him), and he said that he read, prayed, and received an answer from God that this is the right path. Sunday came around and he went to church, loved it, and is preparing for baptism. It has been awesome to see the power of having a recent convert, who has changed his life so much, bearing testimony to his best friend of the happiness he has received through repentance, baptism, and receiving the Holy Ghost. The real way that the church grows is through long lasting activity after baptism, and one of the best ways for a recent convert to stay active is by participating themselves in the conversion of others, preferably friends.
I have this weird thing that keeps happening to me and its really embarrassing. Whenever I look over and wave at people to be nice and friendly, I always trip/slip/slide/fall and make a fool of myself. I went to wave at a family, which of course happened to have a few young women in the family, when we were walking to the church yesterday, and I did my usual trip-on-a-rock thing and barely caught myself before almost falling all the way down to the ground. I just shrugged it off, until the neighbor yells out to us something in guarani that I didn't understand, and it made him laugh. I asked him what the guy said, and he said "you almost fell because you were trying to impress the girls over there!" Man it was embarrassing, but "a lo hecho, hecho está" and you just got to laugh it off, which I did.
We were teaching a Family, which has been a very special family for me here. We taught the Law of Chastity, and at the end of the lesson, I went one by one committing them to"guardar la ley de castitad" which means to keep the law of chastity. Well their sweet little 6 year old son was holding the pamphlet, so when I committed him to keep the law of chastity, he nodded his head and ran inside with the pamphlet. I was kind of confused. He came back out and said that he had kept the law of chastity (pamphlet) there hidden in his closet so that no one could take it from him, which made us all laugh really hard. We came back a few days later, and his mom said that he still is "keeping" the law of chastity well, and wont let anyone else get the pamphlet from him haha what a great little guy.
The work is going well here, I have loved my time here. I have been here over 6 months, and we are getting changes tonight. I don't know if I will leave or not, but I have fallen in love with this area and the great changes that have happened. It has been a privilege to have served here. I love the people I have been able to meet, especially my companion. He is the best son I could have ever asked for. I am so thankful for being able to serve the Lord for these 2 years, and for the rest of my life. One of my favorite scriptures is found in Luke which says, "once thou art converted, strengthen thy bretheren" and I feel like I have come to the position of being completely converted to the gospel, and so my call from here on out is to do what Peter did, and to feed sheep forever. I am thankful for all your letters, comments, thoughts, and prayers, keep us here in your prayers!
Until next week,
Elder Babcock

No comments:

Post a Comment