Saturday, August 25, 2012

Treasures in Heaven

Hello to all!
I am really enjoying my time reading in 3 Nephi. I love the chapters 12-14 (which are also in Matthew), and the counsel it gives to live the "higher law" that Christ taught. I read 3 Nephi 13:19-21 on Saturday morning in my personal study, and really loved it. It says "Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and thieves break through and steal; But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal. For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also." When I read it, it really hit me hard. This life is a long journey that we take step by step, collecting treasures daily. It is easy to fall into the trap of collecting the "treasures upon earth" which are essentially the things that do not matter much, like fancy cars, clothes, luxury, work, sports, music (yes, I said it, Dave Matthews Band may qualify as a treasure upon earth...I cant believe i said it), etc. We spend so much time worrying about those things, when the really reward comes from collecting "treasures in heaven", the things we can take with us, like our family, knowledge, friendships, personalities, testimonies, covenants, ordinances, and all the great things that God has given us to find real joy. It really hit me hard. We visited a member who was going through a hard time, and asked us how she could better balance her work stuff, family stuff, and church stuff. We shared this scripture, and she started crying. I love the scriptures, because they are a divine source of revelation. As we read them, we can and will find the answers we are looking for. I have seen that time after time, especially once I was called to serve. I invite all of you to know them more profoundly, and to apply their teachings in your lives. You will feel the Spirit stronger, your family relationships will improve, your strength to resist temptation will increase, your love for others will be more genuine, your testimony will be more firm, and your determination to reach eternal live with become "steadfast and immovable".
We will receive transfers tonight, it will be interesting to see what happens with my good friend Elder Andreasen and I. Love you all! Keep us in your prayers!
Elder Babcock

No comments:

Post a Comment