Monday, February 28, 2011

Elder Arnold (of the Seventy) . . .

Monday, February 28, 2011

Well, another great and busy week in Paraguay!

Started things off great with a division with my good buddy Elder Colligan! A few months ago, great friends. Now in Paraguay as companions for a day. We had only been here a month, and had the whole day in my area to work and teach. It started off pretty loco when we visited a recent convert named Juan Bautista (yes John Baptist, great name). We shared our scripture and were leaving when the daughter came running for us and asked if we could give a blessing, because Juan´s wife was really sick. So Colligan did the oil, and I was able to give my first blessing here, all in Spanish. It was a pretty scary experience, given that I dont know the language perfectly yet, but it was really spiritual and I enjoyed it. After that we continued our crazy day by visiting a member that decided that the Book of Mormon isn't true, and tried to bible bash us about it...weren't expecting that one. Then we went to another member lady who had gotten in a fight with a neighbor and had all these bruises and cuts, and was missing a tooth. we had planned the day being a lot of quick spiritual thoughts and short lessons...that just shows that as a missionary, no matter how long you´ve been here or how much experience you have, things happen that you cant prepare for. That's when you just pray for the Spirit, and for help from up above. It was a great day though, one of the best here.
The weather in Paraguay is crazy. In a matter of days it went from 105 and humid in our area, to flooded, muddy, cold, wet streets. This country is so unpredictable every single day, and I´m loving the opportunity to grow and learn. Speaking of that, I got a haircut on Monday, and just asked for an average cut, nothing big. However, I walked out of that hair cut place with the shortest hair I´ve ever had in my life. You live and you grow, and i´m hoping my hair somewhat grows back soon.
So the big news here in Luque and in the mission this week is that the area president is here...President Arnold of the Seventy...He came here and interviewed all the Zone Leaders, including my comp. Basically he "dropped cane" on the mission, and everything will be different soon (in a good way). Supposedly our mission has the reputation of being a high baptizing successful mission, but at the same time a very disobedient mission. Its sad because its true, so many elders here waste their two years away, and I am glad he came and has put the mission back in order. Some bad news is that I might be leaving this area, because they are thinking about going back to 2 zone leaders everywhere, which leaves me to go somewhere else. I hope not, but I'll be happy wherever I am. Also, we had stake conference, where the president of the area (Arnold), mission (Madariaga), and temple (Yudall) all talked. There was 998 people there, the church is really strong in my area. I love the Luque area its awesome.
I wanted to thank my mom and my family for this book they sent me. It included each of their testimonies, and then songs, poems, scriptures all about our Savior. I had a really spiritual personal study this week where I had a bunch of questions, and so I prayed, and then read in that book. I usually am not a big cryer, but this one really got to me, and so I wanted to just say thank you to my family for everything, I love them more than words can express.
I read in DyC 31 3-5 (sorry this keyboard is limited) which talked about the mission call of Thomas Marsh, and it is a really cool section, especially for those serving right now or will serve in the near future. Verse 5 says "Therefore, thrust in your sickle with all your soul, and your sins are forgiven you, and you shall be laden with sheaves upon your back, for the laborer is worthy of his hire, wherefore, your family shall live." There are limitless blessings to those who choose to serve the Lord. It is a privilege and an honor to be here in Paraguay. There isn´t anywhere Id rather be then here serving and helping others find Christ. I recently completed 3 months in the mission, which isn´t much, but I can honestly say I love the mission in every aspect.
Thanks for the letters and emails, keep in touch. miss you all and love you guys. pray for me and the people of Paraguay. Ciao.
Con Amor,
Elder Babcock

No comments:

Post a Comment