Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Soledad Baptism, the walk to Cañada Garay ...

Monday, June 13, 2011

Hello to all!
Well, another great week. First and foremost I wanted to give the worlds biggest thank you to my wonderful mother who sent me 2 big packages with tons of great clothes, letters, pictures, candy, food, etc! She is just the best mom in the whole world, without a doubt.
We were able to baptize again this week, her name is Soledad. She is the Soledad from the letters back in Feb-April that we were working with for a long time to get baptized. She has been going to church every week for 6 months, is 13, living with her Grandma (member) and Uncles (members), and we taught her all the lessons numerous times, and she just never wanted to get baptized, even though she knew it was all true. Coincedentally, right when Elder Olson left, she decided she wanted to get baptized, so we went back over all the lessons, and everything went well, and we had an awesome baptismal service on Sat. the 11th. Her uncle Gerraldo baptized her, he just got home from his mission. It was a really cool and spiritual service, and I know she will be a really strong member. We had a great day at church on Sunday. We confirmed Soledad and Christian as members of the church during sacrament meeting, and also Christian was interviewed by the bishop on Sat. and recieved the Aaronic Priesthood on Sunday. It was so cool, Christian is looking great, he even went to our baptism for Soledad just to watch and be with the members. Also, Christian and Nelida (our family we have been working with for a while) went to church, and are really progressing, and are planning on getting married and baptized at the end of the month. It would be really awesome to be a part of that day for them, and if they kept preparing after baptism for a year, I could go to the temple with them. They are incredible too, I love them. And to top the Sunday all off, Hermano Benitez went to church, who used to be an active member, elders quorom president, but went inactive and hasnt been to church in a really long time. We have been working with him ever since I came here, and he finally turned around and went to church. That was one major goal of mine when I came, and it was really cool to see how happy he was at church and how happy all the members were. Good Sunday.
As many of you already know, its been a rough little while with my companion. We have not always seen everything eye-to-eye, and things have been pretty low and rough. We had to walk about 40 minutes away on Friday to another area to get baptismal clothing, and so while we were walking we started talking...long story short we fixed up a lot of holes in our relationship, and even though we still have many differences, things are better. Thanks for the love, advice, support and prayers. Communication is the key for a good relationship, and I have learned a lot already from Elder Soto.
To end this letter, I wanted to bear my testimony on service. We clapped at a house and got the usual "otro dia". But we decided to be persistent, and the lady said she was leaving, so we offered to walk with her and carry her bags to her destination. Little did we know we were in for a long walk, but we got talking and built a great friendship. Instead of walking away, we were able to serve her, and along the way talk about Christ and what he has done for us, and continues to do today through a living prophet. Who knows where this story of service will lead to, but even if thats all that happens, I know that its true...When we are in the service of others, we are also in the service of our God. I am so thankful for being able to be on a mission, its the best thing thats ever happened to me. I have seen a new light in my life that I never knew existed. I am greatful for being able to be with Elder Soto, he is a great missionary and I am learning more and more every day.
Thanks for the love and support. Keep me and the people here in your prayers.
-Elder Babcock

No comments:

Post a Comment