Thursday, June 9, 2011

Christian´s Baptism, and working through the differences ...

Monday, June 6, 2011

Hello to all!
First and foremost, I wanted to wish a happy birthday to both my parents, who within the past 2 weeks have had birthdays, so congrats to the best parents in the world!
Well, where do I begin? Such a crazy and eventful week, with so little time...But I`ll do my best to say as much as a can with this little time I have. Christian, our investigator that we have had for the last 2 months, more or less, was baptized last night. It was an incredible night, definitely one of the most spiritual moments of my life. Throughout the week, as he was preparing himself for baptism, many doubts began to come up, a lot of temptations for him, loss of support from his family (his dad left him when he was young, and his mom lives in Argentina). However, he made it to this special day, and it was a truly incredible experience. Elder Morgan, who is a missionary in our ward, but not our area, baptized him. To conclude the baptismal service, I asked Christian if he wanted to share his testimony, and he did. He went up there, and bore the strongest testimony I may have ever heard. He testified on overcoming trials, on friendship, on the truthfulness of this church, the love and support of the ward, etc. And to end his testimony he said to all the people there, translated of course, "I am excited to become one of you friends, brothers, member of the true church, and a future elder." That was about the point where the Spirit really hit me, and the pure joy I felt in being blessed enough to be one of the missionaries to find such a prepared person to accept the true gospel. He brought me to tears when he talked about his desires to serve a mission, that would just be too awesome. He is a great kid with a rock solid testimony. He was disapointed when we told him the waiting period from membership to a mission is at least 1 year, because he wants to get out and serve now. If all works out well with him, I could be able to go to the temple with him in a year. I guess going out an doing visits with us will have to do for now :). I think its safe to say, it was the best moment of my mission.
Things are going well here... With my companion, we are working hard to find similarities and let the missionary work solve our differences. It has been a good trial for me, and I try to look on the bright side instead of the negatives. For example, my Spanish is getting great!
Thanks for the messages, prayers, and support from home. You guys are great, keep me, my companion, and the people of Paraguay in your prayers.
Love you guys,
Elder Babcock

No comments:

Post a Comment