Monday, March 14, 2011

The Sunday Miracle...

Monday, March 14, 2011
buen dia a todo

My week was not the best one, except for sunday. So, I will be focusing mostly on the good news, because I like to look at the glass half full. We have been working with this lady named Gabriella, who is awesome. She has 2 kids, but her boyfriend abandoned them and her kids are pretty crazy and disrespectful. Her parents are members, and she has a sister on a mission. She has had a really chaotic life, and things have been really bad recently, so her father asked if we could come over and teach her. We taught her the restoration and it was really spiritual. She even came to church this week which was a big deal. In Paraguay, church is a big struggle for the people. My comp says someone would get baptized before going to church, which is funny but at the same time not because its true and frustrating. But she is our main investigator right now and the highlight of our days is teaching her.
Speaking of church, we had so many miracles happen. The family Gaona came to church for the first time in 3 years. He used to be in the bishopric and also worked as the cleaner for the church. Their family was the heart and soul of Bella Vista. And then the church cut the job (around the whole area, maybe world not positive), and also the wife was excommunicated for something, and so they never came back to church. From what I know it was a really big deal, them going inactive. We have been visiting them often and trying to gain some friendship/trust with the missionaries and the members. And this week they came. He even said the opening prayer and it was so spiritual, and he says he is so happy to be back and wants to go and help us with investigators and inactives in the ward. It is a miracle, and I was really happy to be there on Sunday. Also, we have been visiting tons of inactive people in the ward, and at least 6 families that hadn't been to church in a long time came this last sunday, along with 2 investigators.
Sunday night also was a baptism for the other 2 elders in our ward. The two converts are incredible, one is Maria who is around 60 and is the lady that will for sure be a temple worker in a year from now. The other is Eduardo who is around 20, which its safe to say that hes the coolest person I've met so far in Paraguay. Great testimony already, made me cry when he bore his testimony at the baptism. President Madariaga and Hna Madariaga came to the baptism as well, it was so spiritual. About 60 people came and saw. I think our ward is about to explode with missionary work, one of the members told President "at last we have missionaries in bella vista that are working", so he is really happy with us. Its cool to see the blessings that follow when you are obedient. to be obedient, its "so hard to do, so easy to say" (Ben Harper quote). But its true, obedience leads to happiness. I think thats one of the most important things I've learned so far in the mission, how obedience isn't restrictions, its what protects you and allows us to be happy, now and forever.
I love the mission, I love being here in Paraguay. At times I get "trunky" because I miss my family and friends so much, but being a missionary is the best decision I've ever made, and I am already seeing the blessings of serving.
Thanks to you all, I love you and miss you. Keep writing me and keep me in your prayers, I really appreciate it.
love,
Elder Babcock (va-coh is how a paraguayan would say it)

No comments:

Post a Comment