Sunday, July 15, 2012

My Life and My Light

Hello to all!
We had another quite splendid week! My companion and I are having a blast together, teaching with the Spirit, sharing similar ideas, and really loving the people with which we are working. Our ward is basically hit rock bottom...We still have no Bishop, no
counselors (obviously), no priesthood callings yet, nothing. They are having to send High Council members of the stake here to direct our meetings. Basically everyone moved or fell away at once, so it has been a big obstacle that has impeded a bit the work, but we are dedicated in the work and are working to overcome it.
....They were a little doubtful that I knew how to play soccer and all, so I casually did a nice "around the world" 4 times in a row and they seemed a little more convinced haha.  Tonight we set up a special FHE with them and President and Sister Madariaga (Mission President), so in about an hour we will be doing that visit. We are hoping to have a really spiritual one, and that they can commit fully to be baptized.
This morning we had Zone Leader Council and it was really powerful.  President came out and told us that the Lord is pleased with our work, but not satisfied. He then proceded to talk a little bit about how we need to be better examples, especially in the number of baptisms in our areas. We are trying to work better at that, and I feel like we are improving. I got to hang out with Elder Colligan all afternoon, his companion is so cool, he is from chile and likes Radiohead, so we of course get along just fine.
I am loving the mission, my companion, the zone, my leaders, the people we are teaching, our ward, my family, and the opportunity that I have to represent the Lord. This last week was great reading in the Book of Mormon about Ammon. What a missionary. While reading about his mission among the Lamanites, I was pondering about my own mission "among the Lamanites" and how there are many similarities. There were some tough people. There have been many times where I have felt overwhelmed, discouraged, disappointed, frustrated, thinking that there is no more hope. But, those times have been few in comparison to the joy that I have felt in seeing my Paraguayan brothers and sisters accept us, listen, feel the Spirit, repent, read the Book of Mormon for the first time, offeer heartfelt prayers, knowing the Church is true, being baptized and confirmed as members of that Church, and start their process in enduring to the end. Alma 26 became a very special chapter that I will always hold dear to my heart, especially verse 36, which in spanish, talking about his mission, says: "Esto es mi vida y mi luz, mi gozo y mi salvación, y mi redención de la angustia eterna." The mission has been exactly that for me, and I am forever grateful for it. Love you all, remember us in your prayers!
Until next week,
Elder Babcock

No comments:

Post a Comment