Thursday, August 4, 2011

Fry Sauce

Monday, August 1, 2011

Hello to all-
Another fun week in the Lord's work. After I sent last weeks email, I went into AsunciĆ³n for interviews with President Madariaga. We have interviews with him every 3 months to check up on everything and see how we are doing. It was a great interview. It was great to talk to him about the mission, life, everything. Since he speaks English also, the interview was in sheer Spanglish. We would be talking in English, then he would switch to Spanish suddenly, and then switch back haha. So I ended up responding in whatever language he asked me the question in haha. He is an incredible man. He has a strong spirit about him, I look up to him so much, and am thankful for people like him in my life, there to always help me.
It was another pretty average week with the work. We are kind of in a funk right now, having a tough time finding people to teach and bring to church. Keep us in your prayers, so that we can find those that God is preparing for us. I would really appreciate it, and so would my companion.
We were walking down the street one night, and I saw this little hamburger/french fry stand. I thought the fries looked good, so I ordered some. While waiting, I was checking out all the sauces, and I looked at this pinkish sauce, and asked the guy what was in it. He said "mayo and ketchup"....in that moment, I realized that there was even fry sauce in Paraguay! So I ended up having a nice thing of fries with fry sauce...who would've thought it.
There has been a lot of ups and downs lately here. I have noticed the Spirit working through me stronger than ever. On the other hand, we tried to do a family home evening with a less active family, and their little girl of about 4 years was spitting on me, climbing up and putting her dirty feet on my shirt, yelling, crying, and everything in between. Meanwhile, the oldest daughter was getting in a fight with her boyfriend, then kissing him, the mom not paying attention, and the other daughter just laughing at what the little one was doing to me. This area has been a good trial of my patience, literally with the people, and also with how slow the work has been. But I am loving the mission just the same. Its the downs that always come before the ups, and even when we have rainy Sundays, which make it so that "only the strong (members) survive" and go to church, I still have a smile on my face.
I am so thankful for the mission. Today I found an old bookmark of when Pres. Hinckley challenged everybody to read the Book of Mormon by the end of the year. So, I started today Aug. 1st to read it (in English this time) and am following the plan to finish it on Dec. 31. I am having a great time here in the mission, and miss everybody a lot. I would love to hear from you guys through email, letters, etc. Keep me and the people here in your prayers.
until next week,
Elder Babcock



No comments:

Post a Comment