Sunday, November 27, 2011

My work and My glory...

Hello to all!
This last week started off great with a trip to Asunción. We took the long bus ride in overnight, and got there Tuesday morning. We went in taxi straight to the temple with all the elders that are far away from the city. I was really excited, it had been a really long time since I had assisted the temple. As we entered in, I felt the Spirit testify of the sacredness of the work done there. Its cool to think that outside those walls, lies a busy, hectic, dirty city. But inside, sacred work of  the Lord and saving ordinances are done. I went in mentally prepared, and was able to learn more about my role as a child of God. Obedience is so important, given that its the first law of EVERYTHING, and EVERY blessing comes from obedience to some law. I love temples, and the calming Spirit found inside.
We then proceeded the temple with Zone Conference in the mission office. The main focus was different ways to find new investigators, and focusing on the goal: families sealed in the temple! We watched Jeffrey R. Hollands talk that he gave while I was in the MTC, and even though I have now heard and seen it a bunch, it still hits me hard every time. I cannot be a missionary without loving Christ and His Atonement. Pres. Madariaga testified strongly about his feelings on that talk, Christ, etc., and said that we need to be more grateful for Him. I left Asunción with a strong spiritual burst, which has still been guiding me.
I completed 1 year this week as a missionary....I read the letter that I addressed to myself while I was in the MTC, which made me laugh, smile, cry, everything. I committed myself to do what the letter said, make it the best year of my life! This last year has been my best, and I am excited to make this one even better.
I am still with my local Paraguayan comp. We got a call from Pres. Madariaga this week, announcing he will be going to Tijuana Mexico in March. He was so excited, it reminded me of how excited I was when I got my call, and even more excited when Elder Colligan opened his call to come here with me. Aren't mission calls the best!
Yesterday at church, the primary teacher didn't come, so I taught the primary class. Man, it was a blast, that is the dream calling haha. We sang I am a Child of God, and I went over all the lyrics and then we drew a picture of the "path to God." Halfway through the class, the teacher came and all the kids were sad when I left. About a minute later the branch president asked me to go back and teach the kids, because the primary teacher had to teach another class. I was welcomed back with cheers, smiles, even clapping. I felt like some sort of hero returning to the people he had saved, or something like that. I love primary!
As I was studying this week, I was thinking a lot about Gods "work and glory" in Moses 1:39. His goal is that all His children can return back to live with Him. It got me thinking on my work and my glory as one of His missionaries. A cool moment of revelation hit me when I came across Alma 29:9-10, which says "I know that which the Lord hath commanded me, and I glory in it. I do not glory of myself, but I glory in that which the Lord hath commanded me; yea, that I may be an instrument in the hands of God to bring some soul to repentance; and this is my joy.  And behold, when I see many of my brethren truly penitent, and coming to the Lord their God, then is my should filled with joy." I felt the Spirit testify that I have a big responsibility on my shoulders....to help God, the Supreme Being, in His work, by being an instrument in His hands. That is my work and my glory. And I can testify that during this last year, I have never felt more joy in my entire life. I have had SO many moments where I felt, "there is no way I will be happier than this very moment", and then it happens...I have even more joy. I love missionary work, because I love my Heavenly Father, and I want to find, teach, baptize, confirm, and retain people as members of the church so that I can help Him in his work and glory. I am excited to make this next year even better, help even more people, feel even more joy as I work in his vineyard.
Thanks for the support, keep us in your prayers!
Until next week,
Elder Babcock


No comments:

Post a Comment