Wednesday, October 12, 2011

My answers through the Book of Mormon

Hello to all-
To start the letter, my keyboard cannot type exclamation marks, therefore I will not be able to express my excitement as much as I was hoping...I hope you can understand my feelings through only periods haha.
Last Monday was a really fun one, having lunch with my friend Elder Colligan. The food out here by Brazil is much more flavorful and exciting than what I had been eating before, and I am taking advantage of the rice and beans.
This weeks message, I wanted to focus less on events that happened during the week, and more on something very, very close to my heart. Something that had changed my life when I heard Elder Holland bear a powerful testimony of it, talked about it in my farewell talk, reading it again during the MTC and praying to know if it was true and receiving and answer, daily study of it in Spanish and English, applying its teachings in lessons with members, nonmembers, everyone....I wanted to talk to you about the Book of Mormon.
I felt like talking about it this week for many reasons. The living Prophets, Seers, and Revelators spoke much about the daily study in the Book of Mormon during last weeks General Conference, to improve our testimony of Jesus Christ, the Restoration, the Atonement, the Plan of Salvation, the Gospel of Jesus Christ, etc. "The Book of Mormon helps us in keeping three promises we made at baptism to become charitable, to become witnesses of God, and to endure. The Book of Mormon is the best guide to learn how well we are doing and how to do better." - President Henry B. Erying. Not only is it Another Testament of Jesus Christ, it answers the questions of the soul, it was written for us today, in a world getting worse and worse. Daily study is vital to avoid temptations and threats from Satan.
My mom, as you all know, is the best. She writes me every week and talks about her life and her strong testimony of the Book of Mormon, and how she is applying it in her life. She is a great example for me, and has encouraged me week after week to read it, and I have been obedient and seen the blessings.
We went to teach a lady named Pablina, who in our second lesson brought up many doubts of the Book of Mormon. We read together in 2 Nephi 29 together about the necessity of the Book of Mormon, then 2 Nephi 33, 10-11 to share the testimony of Nephi of the Book of Mormon, and finished in 3 Nephi 11 to share that it really testifies of Christ. She said in the next lesson that she was thankful for the acclaration, because she always thought we didn't believe in Christ, and that we didn't use the Bible, but only another book. Through the Book of Mormon, her testimony has grown of Christ and the Restoration, her desires were sparked to learn more, and has opened doors to teach her and her family.
I study every day in the Book of Mormon, with our investigators in mind, and have seen that EVERY DAY I have been able to apply what I read that morning in numerous lessons throughout the day, perfectly applying to their lives, and strengthening their beliefs. I know that it can help us in our daily challenges. Daily reading has become my favorite hobby.
I know that the Book of Mormon is the word of God. I am eternally grateful for Joseph Smith, and for his efforts in translating and bringing this book back to our hands. I know that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter day Saints is the true church of Christ, I know that through the Book of Mormon. I challenge all of you reading this to try its challenge, to read it, to ponder its message, and to ask God in the name of Christ if its true. I know He will respond to you by the power of the Holy Ghost.
Thanks for the support, love, prayers, keep us here in them. Love you guys.
Until next week,
Elder Babcock.

No comments:

Post a Comment